For optimal health and disease prevention, focus on foods that are rich in disease-fighting phytochemicals. Foods that have published studies substantiating their health benefits while having no side effects as so many medicines do. There are no drawbacks to eating healthy to help your body feel it’s best!
This week’s Super Food: BROCCOLI
Broccoli is one of the best foods for fighting cancer. It is rich in sulforaphane, an antidioxidant linked with a reduction in the risk of many cancer, including lung, stomach, colon, and rectal cancers. The phytonuirients in Broccoli help detoxify carcinogens found in the environment. They also have anti-inflammatory properties which is an important factor in reducing the risk of disease. Broccoli also works to protect your eye health.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 cup skim or low fat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 teaspoon diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon flour for thickening
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken or vegetable bouillon
I use a Vitamix blender for all my recipes. If you do not have one, it is a wise investment. Adjust the recipe accordingly for other blenders. This soup would have to be warmed on the stove if your blender does not cook the soup as the Vitamix does.
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 5-6 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid. Or if you don’t have a Vitamix, blend until smooth and heat in pan until hot.
Steam some extra broccoli florets to add to the top of your soup as well as some extra shredded cheese.